Turning Twitter off and on: device notifications
ON: turns ALL phone notifications on.
OFF: turns ALL phone notifications off.
- STOP, QUIT: stops all messages to your phone immediately
- ON username: turns on notifications for a specific person on your phone. For example, ON alissa.
- OFF username: turns off notifications for a specific person on your phone. For example, OFF blaine.
- FOLLOW username: this command allows you to start receiving notifications for a specific person on your phone. Example: follow jeremy
LEAVE username: this command allows you to stop receiving notifications for a specific person on your phone. Example: leave benfu
Fun Stuff: friends, favourites, and stats!
There’s more to Twitter than OFF and ON! Use the commands below to send private messages, mark updates as favorites, or even remind someone to update their Twitter page if you’re wondering what they’re doing!
- @username + message
directs a twitter at another person, and causes your twitter to save in their "replies" tab.
Example: @meangrape I love that song too!
- D username + message
sends a person a private message that goes to their device, and saves in their web archive.
Example: d krissy want to pick a Jamba Juice for me while you’re there?
- WHOIS username
retrieves the profile information for any public user on Twitter.
Example: whois jack
- GET username
retrieves the latest Twitter update posted by the person.
Example: get goldman
- NUDGE username
reminds a friend to update by asking what they’re doing on your behalf.
Example: nudge biz
- FAV username
marks a person’s last twitter as a favorite. (hint: reply to any update with FAV to mark it as a favorite if you’re receiving it in real time)
Example: fav al3x
- STATS this command returns your number of followers, how many people you’re following, and your bio information.
- INVITE phone number
will send an SMS invite to a friend’s mobile phone.
Example: Invite 415 555 1212
- using on/off username from your phone only stops notifications to the place the command comes from; you’ll still collect a person’s updates on the web.
- using follow/leave username from your phone is the same as using on/off username
- following someone from a phone for the first time will also cause you to follow them on the web
- there is no way to stop following a person on the web without visiting their profile and removing them. The off, leave, stop, and quit commands will only disable updates for the device(s) from which they were sent.
- you don’t have to use ON/OFF username from the phone, you can also set individual notifcations from a person’s profile page, or check your following page and manage all phone notification settings there.