I’ve been using the latest Firefox 4 beta for over two months now and I like it a lot. In fact, since December 2010 I’ve been using it as my default browser and have even moved to using the Mozilla nightly builds which I have found to be robust.
Mozilla has made a number of changes to the upcoming release of Firefox that some users may like or not. One interesting change was to use Bing as the default search option in the address bar. Personally, I don’t mind it but there will be many other users who may prefer to use Google instead. By following the small tweak below, you can change the default provider from Bing to Google. Choice is life is always a good thing!
- In the Firefox address bar, type about:config
- In the filter box type in: keyword.url
- Next, double click on the highlighted keyword.URL entry
- Replace any text in the string box and replace with:
- Replace the text with the following:
- Click Ok to save the new setting
Loading multiple tabs in Firefox can slow down the overall user experience. By design, Firefox runs three tabs in the background. But, there is a manual override to gain better performance.
- Locate browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs in the settings.
- Set the preference from 3 to 0. Essentially, It’s a built-in BarTab.